Thursday, February 7, 2008

Notes on New Seeds of Contemplation Series

I don't pretend to be a Thomas Merton scholar, so I've jumped into New Seeds of Contemplation without much context. But the point of the series is not to become a Merton scholar, or even fan. The point is to explore the idea of contemplation during this season of Lent and to put into practice the call for reflection that the ashes from Wednesday night provided.

I realize that there will probably be points where I theologically disagree with Merton, however, I don't see dealing with those differences unless I just can't help it. My plan is to keep this devotional. Like when I eat ribs, I throw out the bones, but only after I've gnawed all the meat off them.

I also reserve the right to totally misunderstand Merton. Why should he have special privileges over everybody else?

I would also like to include some choice quotations from the book but that depends on whether I get permission to do so. Copyright stuff, you know...

If you are interested, here are some good Merton references:

No comments: