Sunday, February 17, 2008

UPDATED: Keep looking up

I love the sky. Clear, blue, starry, cloudy - it doesn't matter to me. I'm 42 years old and I still look up when an airplane flies over. I love sitting in the cold looking for meteors. I love watching the lift of a thunderstorm. I love the hawk that soars over my neighborhood (and sometimes lands on my back fence). I love watching the Air Alabama balloon drift by.

David knew his stuff when he wrote "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork." (Ps. 19.1) This week proves his point:

  1. Most of the Western Hemisphere (where it is clear) will be able to see a total lunar eclipse Wed, Feb 20. Details here.
  2. Do you know when the International Space Station flies over your house? Heavens Above can help with that. Create a new user account, use Google Maps or similar product to help you figure out your lat and long, and check in periodically for fly-overs. Pay special attention during shuttle launches and you might see the shuttle trying to catch up to the station. They're moving at 17,500 mph, so don't blink.

UPDATE: ISS flyover tonight was incredible. At least -2 magnitude, horizon to horizon, just clipped the edge of the moon. If I was hip I would have YouTube video of this, but alas...

No comments: